Mining Operations Manager
Job no: 783939
Work type: Full Time - Permanent
Location: Australia - Western Australia
South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America.
We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals.
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people's lives now and for generations to come.
We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources.
Worsley Alumina is one of the largest and lowest-cost bauxite mining and alumina refining operations in the world. Worsley manages a bauxite mine, alumina refinery and port operations in Western Australia's South West.
We are seeking a Mining Manager to be based at our Boddington Bauxite Mine. Reporting to the VP Operations Worsley, this role will lead the effective delivery of the Mine's production and maintenance activity and drive high performance across safety, volume and cost to ensure business objectives are met. Other responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership and direction to ensure all production and maintenance activities are executed safely.
- Ensure that the material risk profile for production is well controlled and critical risk controls are in place and effective and standards are adhered to.
- Champion and hold people to account for adhering to the health and safety management system.
- Monitor variances to operational plans and implement appropriate actions to deliver desired production and performance outcomes.
- Engage and communicate with the workforce, setting standards, behaviours and expectations to embed a desired culture.
- Lead the implementation of, and governing adherence to South32 policies, procedures and standards.
- Make key operational decisions and ensuring the execution of plans are such that business objectives regarding safety, compliance, production and costs are delivered.
The successful candidate must have the following:
- Safety Leadership experience at a Mining Operation with track record of improving safety culture at operations.
- Current (or capability to develop) proficiency in understanding and applying WA Mining Legislation.
- Technical and operational experience at Mining Operations (e.g. Strategic Mine Planning, Mining Execution) with a well-established understanding of how value is derived from an orebody over the short, medium and long term (i.e. optimise pit extraction sequence to derive long-term value).
- Capability to interact with community members and develop strong relationships.
- Ideally, you will be a degree qualified Mining Engineer, although this is not essential.
- Experience in developing, implementing and maintaining Management Operating Systems (MOS) at a Mining Operation will also be beneficial.
As part of this role, it is important that the successful candidate lives in Boddington to enable interaction with community members and the development of strong relationships. Relocation assistance and subsidised accommodation is provided as part of the role.
What we offer you
- Roster - option to work a 9 day fortnight
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy
- Education and career development
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
- Competitive salaries
- Private Health cover, additional superannuation contributions and a discounted housing loan
This role will be based at our Boddington Bauxite Mine which is located approximately 130km south east of Perth where our employees can choose to live in Boddington or other nearby communities which all offer an enviable lifestyle. The Boddington Township gives its residents the dual advantage of a rural setting while only 90 minutes drive from the city of Perth.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Advertised: W. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: W. Australia Standard Time
Apply nowBack to search results