Director, Permitting & Approvals
Job no: 783834
Work type: Full Time - Permanent
Location: USA - Tucson, AZ
South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America.
We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals.
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources.
South32 is developing the world class Hermosa lead, zinc and silver project near the town of Patagonia, south of Tucson, Arizona.
Based in Tucson, Arizona the role of Director, Permitting & Approvals will be a key member of the Hermosa Leadership Team which will be accountable for developing and delivering the Project in accordance with the South32 investment framework.
As a senior member of the team you will be responsible for the development and implementation of the permitting strategy and approach. You will engage with external stakeholders on behalf of the Project and provide both subject matter expertise and leadership to the Hermosa team.
Include but not limited to;
- Demonstrating leadership through personal behaviours that are consistent with South32’s Core Values; Trust, Care, Togetherness and Excellence and Code of Conduct
- A strong commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development demonstrated through personal behaviours and leadership
- Creating an inclusive workplace with a strong culture of care and accountability
- Developing sound working relationships based on trust, including with the broader South32 environment team
- Developing and then leading the delivery of the permitting and approvals strategy for the Hermosa Project including all related studies and assessments.
- Leading a planned and sustained engagement with stakeholders including key regulatory agencies (state and federal level at senior levels) to build an understanding and appreciation of the Hermosa Project and to address current/emerging material compliance issues
- Leading the team(s) accountable for engagement with relevant state and federal environmental regulators and agencies to obtain necessary permits
- Maintaining a register of awarded and pending permits and develop a system for verifying compliance with conditions and commitments
- Providing expert advice to the Project team (at both a strategic and tactical level) regarding material environmental management considerations, permitting approaches and external stakeholder engagement strategies
- Influencing the overall design and delivery of the Hermosa Project, ensuring key environmental aspects are identified and addressed to eliminate, minimise or mitigate environmental impacts and permitting related impacts or delay in line with local regulation and broader business objectives
- Resourcing and managing a small team of internal/external environmental professionals to enable the Hermosa Project to effectively mitigate environmental exposures and gain requisite environmental permits in a timely manner and consistent with the Project delivery plan
- Supporting South32 reporting processes in relation to environmental management activities and initiatives
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Holds a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (Science / Engineering) qualification
- Extensive knowledge of resource industry / mining project relevant regulatory and permitting requirements (at local, state and federal levels), environmental management processes and technologies and relevant industry standards (e.g. ICMM).
- Experience leading or delivering Environmental Impact Assessments including those required to satisfy the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act.
- Extensive experience in coordinating and delivering large and complex environmental approvals and permits within the United States of America with a strong preference for experience gained in resource development projects in Arizona or other south-western states
- Strong experience in establishing and maintaining effective business level environmental management systems
- Ability to influence and gain the trust of senior internal and external stakeholders
- Track record in leading large, enduring and complex change initiatives
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing project needs and circumstances
- Well-developed communication, interpersonal, negotiation and facilitation skills
- Excellent skills in managing time, setting priorities, planning, and organising
- Strong internal and external customer service focus
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships (face to face and remote)
- Demonstrated ability to influence decisions and performance through effective written and verbal communication
- Management experience in forming and leading effective teams (direct and/or indirect)
Why Choose Us?
We are always seeking people who share our values to join our team. Our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We look forward to receiving your application and exploring this opportunity with you very soon.
Advertised: US Mountain Standard Time
Applications close: US Mountain Standard Time
Apply nowBack to search results