We are a globally diversified mining and metals company with operations in Australia, South Africa and South America. Headquartered in Perth, Western Australia, securities for South32 trade on three exchanges, the Australian Securities exchange (ASX), Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) and London Stock Exchange (LSE).
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
Our people are central to our success and demonstrate our determination to be a best-in-class operator. We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
At South32, Corporate Development is accountable for developing and implementing portfolio strategy. Our Vancouver office supports South32’s corporate development activity in the Americas. You will be involved in identifying, assessing and acquiring opportunities to create sustainable value for South32’s shareholders
The growth of our exploration portfolio, particularly in Australia and the Americas, provides a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly skilled and motivated Exploration Geologist to apply their lateral thinking skills. You will be working collaboratively on technical and commercial initiatives with experienced multi-disciplinary teams, based in several jurisdictions, in order to maximise discovery success.
Reporting to the Lead Greenfields Exploration Geologist (Nth America), the role of Principal Greenfields Exploration Geologist is responsible for the delivery of expert geological support to generative and project level activities; including timely assessment and evaluation of acquisition opportunities, with a focus on the Americas.
The role is also responsible for assisting in the development and execution of technical work programs designed to simply and effectively test for resource potential and ensuring Operations plans are designed to deliver against technical requirements.
Based in our Vancouver, Canada office this role is offered on permanent basis and will require considerable degree of independence and extensive travel across the Americas.
- Supports the delivery of high quality exploration opportunities and advanced projects to support South32’s growth strategy, with a focus on base metals in the Americas.
- Participates and provides effective geoscience input and advice on the identification and evaluation of greenfield discovery opportunities (internal / external). This includes conducting field evaluation of exploration opportunities within the Americas, or globally as required.
- Collaboratively with the Corporate Development Centre, designs technical work programs to ensure exploration objectives are safely and effectively achieved. This includes, managing and integrating contributions from expert external contractors and consultants.
- Sets geoscience technical standards for Greenfields exploration and provides assurance that relevant activities are high quality and being conducted to standard.
- Provide input to build foundation geoscience datasets, including capturing, storing, manipulating, analysing and presenting all types of spatial and geographical data.
- Maintains current knowledge on third party exploration results, regional exploration activity and trends.
- Maintains personal conduct in line with company health, safety and environmental policies, and coaches’ others.
You will have prior demonstrable leadership experience planning and executing exploration work programs, including visible safety leadership and sound risk assessment and management. You will have a strong multi-commodity geoscience evaluation and targeting background, developed from substantive early to advanced stage exploration and development experience across diverse deposit styles and geographies.
Candidates are expected to possess an advanced understanding of the geological processes driving mineralised systems and the formation of mineral deposits, discovery exploration value drivers and strategies across a range of commodities. A strong understanding of generative exploration and reconnaissance skills are required, and the ability to balance technical, commercial, operational, and risk elements, based on incomplete and / or ambiguous information, is essential.
Skills & Qualifications;
- Higher degree in an earth science discipline.
- Ideally has very strong industry experience, including a solid background in base metals is required, particularly porphyry / skarn, carbonate replacement, SEDEX and VMS systems.
- Specialized skills in core logging and mapping, and the interpretation of complex geoscience datasets.
- Advanced communication skills, including the ability to present geoscientific results to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience interacting with key stakeholders including communities and business partners.
- Advanced and relevant experience modelling geological data in 2D and 3D using GIS and implicit / explicit modelling software e.g. Leapfrog.
- Full working rights to live and work in either the US or Canada.
What we offer you
The company will provide all administrative and logistical support, and the necessary tools and equipment to complete the role. Other benefits:
- A competitive salary commensurate with skills and experience
- Attractive Health, Medical and Insurance benefits
- Pension plan employer matching contributions
- Generous vacation leave entitlements
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan
- Education and career development opportunities
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.