Environmental Specialist - Approvals
Job no: 783304
Work type: Full Time - Permanent, Full Time - Fixed Term
Location: Australia - Western Australia
We are a globally diversified mining and metals company with operations in Australia, South Africa and South America. Headquartered in Perth, Western Australia, securities for South32 trade on three exchanges, the Australian Securities exchange (ASX), Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) and London Stock Exchange (LSE).
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come. Our four values of Care, Trust, Togetherness and Excellence guide the work we do.
Our people are central to our success and demonstrate our determination to be a best-in-class operator. We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
About this role:
In Sustainability at South32, we put our values of Care, Trust, Togetherness and Excellence into action. We provide leadership, expertise and direction to generate value (social, environmental and economic) now and into the future. We work on projects that seize opportunities, as well as plan the mitigation of strategic risks to enable the full execution of the South32 strategy and ongoing prosperity for us and our stakeholders.
Reporting to the Lead Environment, this role provides environmental support across the Major Projects and Studies portfolios to:
- enable the portfolio to adhere to the global Environment Standard and regulatory requirements
- ensure key environmental considerations are incorporated into the portfolio of the studies and major projects to reduce, mitigate and/or offset environmental impact
- ensure environmental approvals are obtained with agreed timeframes to support the delivery of the portfolios.
2 opportunities exist - one permanent role and one 24-month fixed term contract.
Primary responsibilities are to:
- provide technical support and advice to Major Projects teams.
- provide technical support and advice to Study teams across both commodity groups, including coordinating the portfolio of early phase environmental studies and assessments
- provide input into the environmental approvals/offset strategies for the portfolio of studies and major projects, and execute the approvals in line with the agreed timeframes.
- provide input into the design of the Global Environment Standard, and support the effective deployment of the Standard across the Studies and Projects portfolios
- execute 2nd line assurance activities over the projects and studies portfolio to ensure compliance with the Environment Standard and regulatory requirements, and work with the studies and projects teams to close-out material gaps
- engage in external forums to discuss emerging industry wide environmental issues/opportunities and guide policy direction (government and industry-based) where relevant to the South32 business
- support South32 reporting processes (internal and external) in relation to environmental management activities and initiatives
- create an inclusive workplace with a strong culture of care and accountability
- have an overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development
- develop sound working relationships based on trust
- Planning and Project teams – regular engagements to ensure alignment between Environment Standard requirements, environmental risk profile and business planning / project delivery
- Major Projects teams – regular engagements to ensure adequate oversight and support for the major projects.
- Environment Consultants – adhoc engagements and management of consultant/s engaged by the function to deliver approval related activities
- Environment Regulators – adhoc engagement to discuss policy and/or address and progress compliance and approval issues associated with the studies and projects portfolio
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor Degree (Science / Engineering / Similar)
- Sound understanding of environmental management processes and technologies, relevant industry standards and regulatory requirements across the South32 business
- Proven experience in maintaining effective business level environmental management systems, and supporting delivery of strategic projects
- Exposure to project management principles
- Ability to influence and gain the trust of an Operations and/or Project leadership team
- Track record in supporting change initiatives in a diverse business setting
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to changing business needs and circumstances
- Well-developed communication, interpersonal, negotiation and facilitation skills
- Excellent skills in managing time, setting priorities, planning, and organising
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships (face to face and remote)
- Demonstrated ability to influence decisions and performance through effective written and verbal communication
- Specific work experience:
- site based environmental position (minimum 2 years)
- business level environment position
Why choose us?
We are always seeking people who share our values to join our team. Our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We look forward to receiving your application and exploring this opportunity with you very soon.
Advertised: W. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: W. Australia Standard Time
Apply nowBack to search results