Principal Business Planner - Illawarra
Job no: 783269
Work type: Full Time - Permanent
Location: Australia - New South Wales
We are a globally diversified mining and metals company with operations in Australia, South Africa and South America. Headquartered in Perth, Western Australia, securities for South32 trade on three exchanges, the Australian Securities exchange (ASX), Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) and London Stock Exchange (LSE).
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
Our people are central to our success and demonstrate our determination to be a best-in-class operator. We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
Illawarra Coal operations are located in the southern coalfields of New South Wales, near the city of Wollongong and approximately 75 kilometres south and southwest of Sydney.
Provide planning expertise to supplement the mine plan ensuring the plan is a fully dynamic blue print for the operation to reach its full value potential. The business planner is the coordinator of the business plan bringing all other functional elements together including costs, capex, environmental considerations and community plans.
- Accountable for developing the operational business plan.
- Interpolate the impact of the South 32 strategic plan as well as the South 32 marketing plan and ensure the required impacts to the specific operation/s are analyzed and responded to.
- Must make decisions relating to the long term plan and how that will cascade into the short term budget and or scorecard – specifically relating to capital spend and development expenditure.
- Influences decision making at operational level relating to production volumes, cost allocations, timing of capex expenditure and closure costs.
- Accountable for ensuring the 2 year budget is an accurate reflection of the long term plan and if it isn’t raising the concern with the VP operation and Operational manager for further action.
- Complexity in this role is related to the integration of the short term production plan for operation/s and how they may impact one another (mine and smelter or refinery and mine) – e.g. this role will perform the analysis of the various costs and product impacts and thereafter suggest amendments to the plan for value optimization.
- Ambiguity may be quite high based on the market outlooks from marketing requiring interpolation and potential adjustment of the plan.
- The influence of this role on the budget is significant as the budget will be initiated in the life of operations plan and only updated during the business plan time frame, this role needs to influence the VP operations and operations managers not to change the plan but rather to understand it and ensure compliance to plan.
- Accountable for arranging, facilitating and providing pre-read for all business plan related discussions for the assigned operation/s.
- Be the single point of accountability in relation to the business plan for the assigned operation/s.
Long Term Mine Planning
- Accountable to follow agreed processes to develop the life of operation plan.
- Accountable for developing long term plans for assigned operation incorporating mine, process plant and infrastructure plans.
- Responsible for preparing costing (both capex and opex) for the long –term planning process through cost accounting methods and models.
- Analysing operational and equipment utilisation, layouts, operational data and production schedules and costs to determine optimum efficiencies and reflect them in the plan and associated plan actions.
- Accountable for coordinating with the other operations planning and projects teams to produce a consolidated view of the operations – high degree of complexity as the marketing outlook for each product will affect the modelling and should be considered in how the modelling is built and then iterated.
- Must influence marketing to provide detailed information that can be used when modelling out to the end of life.
- A high degree of complexity must be dealt with on a daily basis during the life of operation planning as for example the marketing forecasts will only span 10 years out at maximum but valuation modelling is required to the end of life.
- Accountable to influence the valuation team to ensure the complexity of the production and marketing plan is well reflected and can be flexed in the models to provide sound data for decision making at leadership team level.
- Accountable for arranging, facilitating and providing pre-read for all life of operation plan related discussions with the specific operations.
- Be the single point of accountability in relation to the life of operation plan for the assigned operation/s.
- Responsible for the detailed capital planning in the life of operation plan.
- Responsible for capital analysis and modelling of different capital alternatives.
- Responsible for ensuring the capital replacement and capital development policy is modelled effectively and warning finance should a major change be evident in the life of operation plan.
- Pre-feasibility and feasibility project cost & operation modelling.
- Conducts trade-offs to assess different operating scenarios.
- Maintain relationship with South32 operations to ensure governance and compliance to planning standards and systems
Scenario Modelling – cost modelling
- Performs adhoc scenario modelling to test equipment purchases, closures of operations, up or down scaling of the specific operation.
- Support to marketing in terms of scenario testing
- Must prepare JV reporting for each of the above outputs.
- Compile and submit final life of operation reports for the operation/s
- Collate month end report on major capital work for reporting to JV’s where appropriate
Analysis & Improvement
Provides opportunities on the Business Planning function to support Manager business planning
- Degree (Industrial Engineering, Mining Engineering, Accounting or Business)
- Demonstrated Business Acumen
- Proven ability to solve problems and deal with ambiguity
- In-depth knowledge of planning software and systems
- Sound knowledge and understanding of mining and manufacturing processes
- Min 6 years’ experience
What does South32 offer?
- Flexible work schemes
- Competitive remuneration arrangements
- Education and Career Development
- Employee Share Plan
- 26 Weeks’ paid parental leave and a return to work lump payment
Why choose us?
We are always seeking people who share our values to join our team. Our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We look forward to receiving your application and exploring this opportunity with you very soon.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Apply nowBack to search results