South32 is a new kind of resources company built around a single idea: that in a rapidly-changing world, we have an opportunity to make a difference from the ground up.
We are a globally diversified metals and mining company with a portfolio of high quality, well maintained, cash generative assets. The roots of South32 are in the Southern Hemisphere, with a head office in Perth, regional hubs in Perth and Johannesburg, and marketing office in Singapore.
Cerro Matoso S.A. (CMSA) is one of the world's largest ferronickel mining operations, accounting for nearly 10% of the worlds' ferronickel production. CMSA controls and operates all aspects of mining and processing in Montelíbano, Colombia.
We are seeking accountable for the Lead HSE Operations at Cerro Matoso, in Colombia, to deliver strategic analysis, solution designs, evaluation and execution relating to all the Health and Safety System.
Reporting to South32 Management and Board – adhoc and routine updates on HSE operations performance, material HSE risk issues and input into the South32 Safety Standard. You will have to work closely with HSE Operation team/s – regular engagement to provide leadership, advice, and direction to enable the delivery of prioritised HSE initiatives and discuss emerging material risk and compliance issues and opportunities. You will also ensure the Operational team/s – engagements with the site based lead teams to provide advice on material HSE risk and compliance issues, and ensure functional activities align with operational priorities and risk profiles.
HSE Sub functions – adhoc engagement with the Health, Safety, Environment, strategy and reporting sub functions, Planning and Project teams – adhoc engagements to ensure alignment between HSE Standard requirements, HSE risk profile and business planning / project delivery.
What the Role Entails
- Manage the safe execution of HSE accountable work for the Cerro Matoso operation
- Collaborate and co-design management approach with other Health and Safety Managers and Operations to provide a consistent leadership approach across the organisation
- Provide input into the development of the South 32 HSE strategy, to ensure that it considers the HSE needs and risks at the operation, as well as identifying projects for continuous improvement
- Develop with the Cerro Matoso HSE Operations team, the HSE Operations goals, based on the HSE strategy
- Develop sound working relationships based on mutual trust, with key site based stakeholders, to ensure HSE work is executed in alignment with the requirements of the operations
- Ensure HSE Operations work conforms to the appropriate South32 HSE standard, systems, processes, and critical controls for material risks
- Lead, coach and mentor team members to deliver against the HSE Operations goals, based on effective team routines (meetings, site visits etc.)
- Verify HSE related risks and advise HSE/operations teams on improvement opportunities to effectively manage these
- Provide operations with constructive feedback relating to site incidents and recommended actions
- Collate input for routine HSE reports relating to HSE Operations work activities against plan, including challenges and planned mitigating actions
- Execute work to improve the HSE systems and processes, as identified from the HSE assurance progra.
- Monitor 1SAP work management process metrics and contribute to initiatives to improve the planning and execution of work, including HSE function owned work and work associated with HSE critical controls
- Manage the HSE Operations financial performance, including input during the HSE budget development
- Create an inclusive workplace with a strong culture of care and accountability
- An overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable developmen
The ideal candidate will have strong knowledge of Colombian environmental regulations and skills sets to manage relevant stakeholders at local, regional and national levels.
- Bachelor’s Degree of Engineering or Science (with relevant discipline)
- Professional who has guided, developed and influenced practice in the HSE area or a line leadership role with HSE accountabilities and a minimum of 7 years’ experience in a relevant industry.
- Requires detailed knowledge of key concepts, theories and practices related to the effective management of HSE related risks.
- Must have extensive knowledge of Colombian environmental regulations
- Must have demonstrated skills and experience in managing relevant stakeholders at local, regional and national levels within Colombia.
10 years of managing diverse teams(across jurisdictions would be an advantage)
15 years, with experience in both operational and corporate roles
- Management experience in forming and leading effective teams for a minimum of 3 years.
- Proven contribution in establishing work plans and managing the delivery of those plans, based on effective leadership.
- Demonstrated experience in executing technical HSE related work, including involvement in major change initiatives
- Track record in leading change initiatives in a diverse business setting
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to changing business needs and circumstances
- Well-developed communication, interpersonal, negotiation and facilitation skills
- Excellent skills in managing time, setting priorities, planning, and organising
- Strong internal and external customer service focus
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in an operation like environment or a large capital project, including responsibility for budgets at a work team level
Fluent in both Spanish and English (spoken and written skills)
What We Offer You
Offered as a full-time opportunity, you will benefit from a rewarding career path in a company that embraces diversity and collaboration. We offer an attractive salary package including a performance-based bonus, participation in the Employee Share Plan and other CMSA employee benefits.
This position will be based at Montelibano, Colombia
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.