Health & Safety Manager
Job no: 781059
Work type: Full Time - Permanent
Location: Australia - Western Australia
We are a globally diversified mining and metals company with operations in Australia, South Africa and South America. Headquartered in Perth, Western Australia, securities for South32 trade on three exchanges, the Australian Securities exchange (ASX), Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) and London Stock Exchange (LSE).
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
Our people are central to our success and demonstrate our determination to be a best-in-class operator. We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
Reporting to the Chief Sustainability Officer, this position will develop and lead a team of health and safety professionals to enable the business to protect our employees and contractors, and influence our strategic direction to promote enduring positive health and safety outcomes. The role would be responsible for designing and implementing the Health and Safety Management System, performance analysis, conducting assurance and delivering strategic improvement projects in collaboration with operations-based teams and other functions.
Role responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Develop and lead a high-performing team of health and safety professionals with a strong culture of care and accountability in an inclusive workplace
- Provide guidance and expert advice on material health and safety matters to management, operational and functional teams, with an emphasis on technical Health support
- Influence the strategic direction of the business with respect to health and safety management to reduce long-term risk exposure and promote enduring positive health and safety outcomes
- Own the design of the Global Health and Safety System, and ensure processes are in place that support the effective deployment of Standards across the business
- Develop and own the portfolio of strategic improvement projects across the health and safety disciplines that support the delivery of the South32 business plan/s and functional objectives
- Co-create, with the Strategy and Reporting team, the company wide goals and targets for Health and Safety, including Short-Term Incentives for Remuneration
- Provide 2nd line assurance over the South32 health and safety risk profile and internal company standards
- Manage the financial performance of the Health and Safety Function
- Engage in external forums to discuss emerging industry wide health and safety issues/opportunities and guide policy direction (government and industry-based) where relevant to the South32 business
You will have an overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development with extensive knowledge of health management processes and technologies, relevant industry standards and regulatory requirements. Proven experience in establishing and maintaining effective business level health management systems, and delivery of strategy, strategic projects and change initiatives. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships, including being able to influence and gain the trust of an Executive leadership team.
Skills & Qualifications;
- Tertiary qualification in a health-related discipline
- Prior experience within a site based health and safety position (preferred)
- Prior experience within a business level health and safety position (preferred)
- Prior experience with a Health or Safety service provider or regulatory agency (preferred)
This role will be based preferably at our Perth CBD office on St Georges Terrace. There will however be expect interstate and international travel.
What We Offer You
- Offered as a full-time permanent staff role
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work arrangements
- Relocation assistance
- Company superannuation matching scheme
- Company share plan
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Advertised: W. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: W. Australia Standard Time
Apply nowBack to search results